Current Job Opportunities
Chelan County Courthouse
350 Orondo Ave
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Primary responsibilities include Court and Judicial security. The Campus Security Deputy will oversee the private security contracted employees and all of their security checkpoints on the Chelan County Courthouse Campus. This position is intended for a Special or Limited commissioned Deputy and not a fully commissioned Washington State Law Enforcement Deputy. The position is responsible for performing technical duties by providing both the public and Chelan County employee’s security anywhere on Chelan County Courthouse Campus, to include the six main buildings on campus.
The Campus Security department is funded by the Board of County Commissioners, but will be supervised and overseen by the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office. The Campus Security Deputy will follow all policies and procedures as described by Chelan County Sheriff’s Office policy. The Campus Security Deputy is required to meet the training standards set forth by CCSO for this position.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Administrative Sergeant and/or Chief of Patrol in the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office. Responsibilities include providing security to the entire Chelan County Courthouse Campus, court room security, and the direct supervision of contracted security and their security checkpoints, along with other assigned duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serving arrest warrants.
- Responding to emergent and non-emergent situations throughout the County campus.
- Assisting court deputies as needed, providing security in Superior Court, District and Juvenile Court.
- Supervising the court security station officers.
- Provides general information, direction and assistance to the public.
- May make on campus arrests and prepare arrest reports.
- Identify and/or report Campus security or hazards concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of court rules, courtroom practices and procedures.
- Ability to cope with a wide variety of situations with tact, discretion, courtesy and respect for citizen's rights.
- Ability to prepare written reports and files in an accurate, comprehensive, timely and legible manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with individuals and groups.
- Ability to use tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgement within established guidelines.
- Effectively working and interacting with all levels of county employees, management and citizens.
- Reviewing and directing the activities and actions of security personnel
- Ability to remain calm when handling stressful situations.
- Ability to interact with and assist mentally ill persons on and around the Courthouse Campus.
- Knowledge of de-escalation techniques.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Two-year college degree (AA); or 2 years of experience in security, corrections or law enforcement related field, or military experience may substitute for educational requirement.
Completion of Basic Law Enforcement Academy or Corrections Academy through WA CJTC; or ability to complete Corrections Academy within 6 months of employment.
Successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation including polygraph and psychological evaluation.
Must be able to meet physical fitness incentive testing standards offered twice per year.
Complete and stay up to date with CCSO training requirements for this position.
Be proficient with firearms and successfully pass qualifications.
Must be 21 years of age or older.
PHYSICAL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
The Campus Security Deputy must have the ability to respond to emergency situations and physically assist incapacitated or disabled individuals. Ability to run after and apprehend suspects and/or inmates, sustain dominance over unruly individuals, and lift and/or move up to and over 100 pounds. Ability to climb stairs, crouch and kneel occasionally. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to work in a public office/courtroom setting and use standard office equipment and law enforcement devices and weapons. Must have ability to accurately hear and respond to radio transmissions, alarms, etc. May be required to drive a motor vehicle occasionally.
Work is performed in and around the Courthouse Campus. The employee has daily direct contact with people who may exhibit hostile behaviors, such as profanity, verbal abuse, and angry outbursts. The work environment is often hectic and stressful. Danger of physical harm may be present in dealing with hostile or aggressive individuals. The employee is regularly exposed to hazardous situations which may involve physically violent persons, mentally or emotionally disturbed persons, persons with infectious diseases, and highly stressful situations.
The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, inclement weather, extreme heat or cold; potential exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, or blood borne pathogens and bodily fluids.
Submit letter of interest, supplemental application and completed Personal History Statement. Return all completed documents to Chelan County Human Resources, 400 Douglas Street, #201, Wenatchee, WA 98801 or email to Katie.Batson@co.chelan.wa.us
Position closes: Monday, November 20th at 5:00 PM.