Current Job Opportunities
Chelan-Douglas Horticultural Pest & Disease Board
412 Washington Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
The Chelan-Douglas Pest Board is hiring a 6-8 month, on-call bilingual Agricultural Inspector I position that consists of approximately 8 hours a week between the months of April through October 2016. (May be extended) This position will also fill in for absent employees.
This position is to be the support staff member for the Director and other staff members. The incumbent will conduct translation as a primary duty on specific cases in both counties. This individual will also fill in for absent employees to perform daily operations. The position works closely with the public and the chosen applicant must have the ability to remain courteous and professional at all times.
*Students in a tree fruit production program, horticulture program, or closely related program are encouraged to apply. BUT NOT REQUIRED*
- Translate between Spanish and English
- Safely operate trimming equipment, including chainsaws.
- Use herbicides and/or pesticides.
- Safely use and maintain a clean vehicle.
- Will be required to attend driver safety training.
- Survey geographical areas in Chelan & Douglas Counties.
- Place, monitor, service and remove insect traps.
- Search fields, brush and trees to locate plant pests.
- Collect samples of infected fruit, fruit pests, or plant materials for analysis.
- Keep accurate record data.
- Use surveying equipment such as GPS units.
- Use computers and basic applications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Bilingual SPANISH/ENGLISH
- Basic Computer Skills
- Ability to read/speak/write in English.
- Basic Math Skills
- Use common sense, good judgment, and the ability to follow instructions.
- A current Washington State Driver’s License.
- College coursework in tree fruit production, horticulture, or closely related field.
- GIS, GPS equipment, and mapping experience.
- Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications and/or databases.
- Professional Writing
- Ability to speak and/or write in Spanish.
- Previous herbicide/pesticide experience.
- WSDA Private/Public Applicator and/or Consultants License OR Ability to obtain one within two weeks of hire date.
Long driving commutes will be a normal part of this position. It is expected that the candidates have a good driving record. The employee will be regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Work Environment & Conditions
Occasionally work hours outside of the regular 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday work hours including evenings, early mornings, and weekends.
The employee must be able to work independently with limited supervision, in all weather conditions. May be required to work in difficult terrain and surfaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, stressful situations will arise when dealing with unfriendly property owners. Employee must be able to maintain composure under stressful situations. This position is commonly exposed to dogs, snakes, biting/stinging insects, and hazardous plants.
To apply: Please submit cover letter, resume and completed Chelan County Application to email@example.com
Position is open until filled.