Financial Services Manager - Chelan County Auditor's Office
Chelan County Auditor 350 Orondo Ave Wenatchee, WA 98801
Provides technical support to Chelan County in the area of governmental accounting. Performs senior level financial research, planning and analysis with an assigned functional area of responsibility. Oversees various Countywide accounting functions and related financial reports, and serves as a key player in the development of financial information systems. Compiles the County’s annual financial report and coordinates the annual budget process. Supervises assigned accounting staff and assures County compliance with State and Federal regulations and standards.
- Preparing annual and monthly financial reports for all funds in conformance with state requirements and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Overseeing accounting, fiscal management, financial reporting, and research activities to ensure that they are in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, as well as state and County financial accounting procedures. Analyzing and recommending changes to departmental accounting procedures and approve adjustments to department and financial records. Providing training as needed.
- Maintaining the County’s central accounting data, authorizing access to the financial system, creating the annual budget and designing the budget process. Advising and assisting the Commissioners on crucial financial decisions during annual budget creation.
- Interpreting federal and state guidelines and ensure the County’s compliance with federal, state, County, and other applicable accounting rules and regulations. May serve on committees or liaison with the GASB, State Auditor’s Office, or other agencies.
- Performing analysis and auditing of financial records to ensure completeness and conformance to established procedures, County policy, and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Coordinating County departments regarding annual audit by State Auditor’s Office.
- Designing and modifying accounting systems to provide adequate records of assets, liabilities, fund equities, and financial transactions.
- Compiling and reporting financial data as required by organization and government regulations.
- Assisting other County departments with financial accounting, cost accounting, budget, grant management, and other financial decisions.
- Preparing reports needed to satisfy tax and federal reporting requirements.
- Responsible for hiring & training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Punctuality and good attendance
- Other duties as assigned
Manages three subordinate employees and temporary help. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a closely related field
- 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in government finance, accounting, auditing, financial reporting, or budgets
- 1 year of supervisory experience
- Experience compiling multi-fund accrual basis governmental financial statements
- Attention to detail
- Strong supervisory and management skills
- Time management skills
- Strong communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- OR an Equivalent skillset based on a combination of education and experience in performing the duties of this position
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or closely related field
- Accounting or Finance professional certification (e.g. CPA, CMA, etc)
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LANGUAGE SKILLS-Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS-Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY-Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT SKILLS – Develop comprehensive plans with “the end in mind”, identify and allocate resources, assign tasks & establish benchmarks, coordinate, and oversee to successful completion.
COMPUTER SKILLS – Competent skill in a variety of reporting formats, spreadsheets, information access, PowerPoint, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or fell; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.