Current Job Opportunities
Chelan Community Development
316 Washington Street, Suite 301
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Serves as a customer liaison for the Planning Division. Implements the mission of the Department in order to assure orderly growth of the County and coordination of planning efforts in Urban Growth Areas. Undertakes and coordinates professional planning services involving: providing public information about County planning policies, regulations, and activities; conducting technical plan review; and processing minor administrative development applications.
Entry level professional/technical position. Reports to Planning Manager. Provides primary day-to-day customer service for the Planning Division through counter and telephone coverage, conducts technical review of single-family and other minor residential and commercial building permits; and processes minor administrative development applications.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Depending upon assignment, the incumbent may perform a combination of some or all of the following duties, which are representative sample of the level of work appropriate to this classification.
1. Primary function is to provide information about the County’s development regulations and policies to the general public and permit applicants – over the telephone, at the counter, through e-mail, through mail, and at meetings. Routes inquiries concerning specific development permits to project planners.
2. Conducts technical review of single-family and other minor residential and commercial building permit applications and processes minor administrative development applications to ensure compliance with County development regulations, comprehensive plan policies and conditions of approval for prior discretionary permits.
3. Accepts development permit applications for filing, reviews for completeness, calculates and receipts fees, enters permits into permit tracking software and routes to supervising planners for further processing.
1. Ensures that the public counter information is up-to-date, including County codes, maps, and forms.
2. May assist Code Enforcement Officer in performance of his/her duties.
3. Performs research tasks as assigned.
4. Prepare standard legal documents associated with development permits and minor administrative development applications.
5. Works with other members of the Department in collaborative problem solving and completion of tasks.
6. May serve the County in a support role in the event of an emergency or disaster.
7. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to communicate clearly both in writing and orally.
2. Excellent customer service/public relations skills.
3. Knowledge of land use codes and land use practices.
4. Ability to analyze code provisions.
5. Ability to work well with peers.
6. Ability to follow direction of superiors.
7. Ability to be flexible to changing priorities.
8. Knowledge of basic environmental functions and values.
9. Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
10. Ability to operate personal computer programs, including those involving word processing, spreadsheets, presentation graphics, project management, and permit tracking.
11. Ability to read and understand maps, architectural plans, and ability to use architect’s and engineer’s scales and perform mathematical calculations.
12. Ability to perform site visits on varied terrain and conditions required.
Bachelor's degree in planning or closley related field with a general knwldege of planning and/or zoning principals; unrelated bachelor's degree with 1-2 years of relevant planning experience may be substituted for planning degree. Bi-lingual preferred. Posess a valid WA State Driver's livense.
Job involves desk work, which may be interrupted with phone and counter calls. Involves attendance at meetings on the County campus or off-site, before, during and after normal work hours. Reports and correspondence are typically prepared at the computer terminal. Frequent site visits to building sites or vacant properties can involve rugged and dirty conditions; and work in snowy and/or hot conditions.