Current Job Opportunities
Chelan County Department of Community Development
316 Washington Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Serves as a first-level professional planner. Implements the mission of the Department in order to assure orderly growth of the County and coordination of planning efforts in Urban Growth Areas. Undertakes and coordinates professional planning services involving: processing of discretionary and ministerial development applications and public information about County planning policies, regulations, and activities. Assists with preparing land use plans and regulations and collection/analysis of geographic/socioeconomic data.
First-level non-supervisory professional planner. Reports to Planning Supervisor. Coordinates work with other staff when appropriate. Provides information to the public about County land use regulations and policies. Reviews ministerial development permits and makes decisions on behalf of the Department about their compliance with regulations and policies. Uses professional judgment to evaluate the compliance of discretionary development applications with regulations and policies, and prepare recommendations to the Director, Deputy Director and Hearing Examiner.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Depending upon assignment, the incumbent may perform a combination of some or all of the following duties, which are representative sample of the level of work appropriate to this classification.
- Provides information and interpretation of applicable County development regulations and policies to the general public, permit applicants, and public officials – over the telephone, at the counter, through e-mail, through mail, and at meetings – regarding the County’s land use regulations and policies.
- Performs technical review of building and other ministerial development permits to ensure compliance with zoning and related development regulations, comprehensive plan policies and conditions of approval for prior discretionary permits.
- Processes minor development proposals requiring discretionary County approval, for example: variances, conditional use permits, minor shoreline permits and short plats.
- Depending on availability of projects and planner workload, processes development proposals requiring discretionary County approval, for example: land use permits, Planned Developments and subdivisions, including some complex and controversial projects.
- Reviews proposals for compliance with zoning and related development regulations and comprehensive plan policies, coordinates with other departments and local agencies, prepares written staff reports and makes recommendations to decision makers.
- Reviews development proposals and planning projects for compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act.
- Prepares and presents staff reports at public hearings before the Hearing Examiner, Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners, as assigned.
- Represent the Department at public meetings hosted by the County, Community Councils, developers, and civic groups, as assigned.
- Works with individuals and interest groups to resolve disputes and facilitate consensus on issues pertaining to development permits and planning projects, as assigned.
- Prepare legal documents associated with development permits. Monitors maintenance and performance securities, including wetland mitigation and landscaping.
- Performs research tasks as assigned.
- Creates and/or revises administrative procedures to implement changes to policies and codes.
- Works with other members of the Department in collaborative problem solving and completion of tasks.
- May assist Code Enforcement Officer in performance of his/her duties.
- Represents the department on interdepartmental service teams and technical groups.
- Collects and analyzes demographic, land use, and related data. May manage automated mapping, database, and geographic information systems.
- Assists in preparing policies, regulations, and implementing programs influencing the growth and development of the County.
- May serve the County in a support role in the event of an emergency or disaster.
- May assist the Deputy Director and Planning Supervisor in the preparation of applications for grants.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of planning practices and land use codes.
- Ability to analyze code provisions.
- Ability to work well with peers.
- Ability to follow direction of superiors.
- Ability to be flexible to changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate clearly both in writing and verbally, including the ability to make public presentations before hearing bodies and diverse groups.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to negotiate solutions and facilitate consensus on planning issues.
- Abilty to operate personal computer programs, including those involving word processing, spreadsheets, presentation graphics, project management, and permit tracking.
- Ability to read and understand maps, architectural plans, and ability to use architect’s and engineer’s scales and perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to perform site visits on varied terrain and conditions required.
Job involves desk work, which may be interrupted with phone and counter calls. Involves attendance at meetings on the County campus or off-site, before, during and after normal work hours. Reports and correspondence are typically prepared at the computer terminal. Frequent site visits to building sites or vacant properties can involve rugged and dirty conditions; and work in snowy and/or hot conditions.
Bachelor’s degree in planning or closely related field and one (1) year of professional planning related experience with either city or county government agency required. Equivalent combination of education and experience to perform the essential functions of the position may be considered. Bi-lingual preferred. Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license.
TO APPLY: Submit letter of interest, resume and completed Chelan County Employment Application to Human Resources, 400 Douglas Street, #201, Wenatchee, WA 98801 or email to Katie.Batson@co.chelan.wa.us
This is a bargaining unit position with union dues. Position open until filled.