Agricultural Inspector II
County of Chelan Horticultural and Pest 412 Washington St. Wenatchee, WA 98801
OFFERABLE STARTING SALARY: PW05 $3,728.77– $4,088.42 (Step 2-4) DOE
FULL SALARY SCHEDULE: PW05 $3,728.77– $4,922.09 (step 2 – 8)
FLSA STATUS: Union eligible, eligible for overtime.
Benefits include Medical, Dental, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Washingon State Retirement System, VEBA account, and paid holidays.
The Tri-County Horticultural Pest & Disease Department is hiring a full time, permanent Agricultural Inspector II position. Location: The incumbent will serve as the primary case manager for the Okanogan County area while occasionally assisting in the norther Chelan & Douglas County regions.
This position serves as a field inspector, case manager and assistant to the department Director/Agent. The incumbent will be the point person for specific projects taking place in Okanogan County & northern parts of Chelan and Douglas Counties. Assists with routine department operations where needed. Area of work will primarily be in the Okanogan County Area, but will include cross over into Chelan and Douglas Counties at times. The position works closely with the public and the candidate must have the ability to remain courteous and professional at all times.
Must be willing to drive up to 80% of the time. May be required to occasionally use personal vehicle and will be reimbursed for mileage at the Chelan County mileage rate.
Purpose and Mission
The Tri-County Horticultural Pest & Disease Board/Department enables the counties to more efficiently control and prevent the spread of horticultural pests and diseases. The Tri-County Pest Board is granted its authority within Washington State Law 15.09. The department investigates complaints received on unsprayed, neglected or abandoned vegetation. This can be anything from a single backyard tree to commercial orchards. The Tri-County Horticultural Pest and Disease Department is managed by a director appointed by the board of representatives, four representatives from each county, one WSU Extension Specialist and one WSDA Representative.
Mission - To eradicate pest & disease infestations occurring in fruit trees that threaten commercial orchards, and to work with the public to keep back yard fruit trees free from pest these infestations.
- Assists with ArcGIS Mapping and database management.
- Use computer and tablet applications including MS Office, FileMaker, and ArGIS.
- Use surveying equipment such as iPads and GPS units.
- Creates pest management plans with property owners.
- Administers office procedures.
- Surveys properties within Pest Board jurisdictions for tree fruit pests and diseases.
- Collects samples of infected fruit, fruit pests, or plant materials for analysis.
- Keeps accurate case records, pesticide application records, time sheets, and work orders
- Place, monitors, services and removes insect traps.
- Search fields, brush and trees to locate plant pests/diseases.
- Safely operates trimming equipment, including chainsaws to remove fruit trees.
- Use herbicides and/or pesticides with spray equipment.
- Safely use and maintain a 4x4 trucks, trailers, and ATV’s.
- Participate in fruit industry meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
A candidate needs to be able to successfully perform all above listed duties and additional duties as appointed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Graduation from high school or GED, including one year of high school science & math and three years of experience as an Agricultural Inspector I or similar field.
Completion of an Associate’s Degree in Horticulture, Tree Fruit Production, Technical Sciences or closely related field with two years of related work experience.
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Tree Fruit Production, Technical Science, or closely related field with one year of related work experience.
COMBINATION OF WORK EXPERIENCE AND COLLEGE COURSE WORK MAY BE SUBSTITUTED TO MEET QUALIFICATIONS.
- High School Diploma/GED with two years professional experience. Or a combination of education and experience, as listed above.
- Exceptional Computer Skills
- Ability to read/speak/write in English.
- Math Skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Use common sense, good judgment, and the ability to follow instructions.
- A current Washington State Driver’s License.
- WSDA Private/Public Applicator and/or Consultants License or ability to obtain one the first three months of employment.
- Experience with ArcGIS
- Experience with FileMaker
- Bachelor’s Degree in tree fruit production, horticulture, or closely related field.
- GPS equipment, and mapping experience.
- Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications and/or databases.
- Professional Writing
- Ability to speak and/or write in Spanish.
- Previous herbicide/pesticide experience.
This position with be a combination of office duties and field duties. Some days will require long driving commutes. It is expected that the candidates have a good driving record. The employee will be regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Work Environment & Conditions
Occasionally, work hours outside of the regular 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday work hours including evenings and weekends.
The employee must be able to work independently with limited supervision, in all weather conditions. May be required to work in difficult terrain and surfaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, stressful situations will arise when dealing with unfriendly property owners. Employee must be able to maintain composure under these stressful situations. This position is commonly exposed to dogs, snakes, biting/stinging insects, and hazardous plants.
$25 Cell Phone Stipend
Full Medical/Vision/Dental Coverage
HRA VEBA Account with monthly contribution of $175/month for medical expenses
PERS Retirement Plan
Vacation and sick leave included, with paid holidays.
Job offer will be at a rate between pay steps 2-4 $3,728.77– $4,088.42.
SUBMIT COVER LETTER, RESUME, COMPLETED SUPLEMENTAL QUESTIONAIRE, AND COMPLETED CHELAN COUNTY APPLICATION TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Email (preferable): email@example.com
Mail: 412 Washington St, Wenatchee, WA 98801
Contact Will Carpenter, Director @ 509.667.6677 for questions.