District Court

Domestic Violence

Please Note:  Domestic Violence protection orders must be filed in Superior Court (not District Court).

If you are a victim of domestic violence or fear violence by a "family or household member," you may petition the Superior Court for an order for protection from domestic abuse.  Domestic Violence includes crimes committed by one family or household member against another.

"Family or household" members include:

  • Spouses or former spouses
  • Persons who have a child in common
  • Adult persons who are related by blood or marriage
  • Adult persons who reside together or who have resided together in the past
  • Persons 16 years of age and older who have or have had a dating relationship
  • Persons who have a biological or legal parent-child relationship, including step-parents and step-children and grandparents and grandchildren

See Order of Protection-Civil Order RCW 26.50 .

If you have a court order, it is important to remember:

  1. Keep a certified copy of your order with you at all times.
  2. The order is enforceable throughout the State of Washington.
  3. If there is a violation of your court order, call 9-1-1 or your local police. Tell them you have a court order and it is being violated.

Whether or not you have a court order, if you are being harassed, threatened, or assaulted, call 9-1-1, or your local police!!

What do you need to know about a Domestic Violence Protection Order

What can an Domestic Violence Protection Order do?

A Protection Order can:

  • Prohibit contact of any kind
  • Remove abuser from shared residence and prohibit them from returning
  • Give temporary custody of children and set a visitation schedule
  • Prohibit the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment
How is a Domestic Violence Protection Order obtained?

A Domestic Violence Protection Order may be obtained through the Chelan County Superior Court. The court will review the paperwork and grant or deny a temporary emergency order effective for up to 14 days. The other party must be served with the petition, notice of hearing, and temporary order. A hearing is scheduled within 2 weeks at which time the court may deny the petition or grant an order effective for up to one year or more. Forms and instructions are provided by the County Clerk's Office.

What is the cost?

There is no cost to petitioner.

What happens if the Domestic Violence Protection Order is knowingly violated?

Mandatory arrest if abuser violates the terms of the order restraining the person from acts or threats of violence, or restraining the person from going on the ground of or entering a residence, workplace, school, or daycare, or prohibiting the person from knowing coming within, or knowing remaining within, a specified distance of a location. Possible criminal or contempt charges may be filed.

Posted: 02/03/2015 11:23 AM
Last Updated: 03/31/2015 02:54 PM

Share This Page...

Chelan County Calendar

Upcoming events and schedules at the county!

  • 29
    Jun 2023
    09:00 AM - 03:00 PM

    Staff In-Service Training

    Posted by: Community Development

  • 28
    Jun 2023
    06:00 PM - 09:00 PM

    Boundary Review Board Public Hearing - File No. BRB 2023-001

    Posted by: Boundary Review Board

    May 24, 2023: File No. BRB 2023-001

  • 21
    Jun 2023
    01:00 PM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - June 21, 2023

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference
  • 21
    Jun 2023
    07:00 PM - 09:00 PM

    Planning Commission - June 21,2023

    Posted by: Community Development

    400 Douglas Street
  • 13
    Jun 2023
    07:00 PM - 08:30 PM

    Chelan County Noxious Weed Control Board: June 13, 2023

    Posted by: Noxious Weed Control Board

    2023 second quarter meeting of the Chelan County Noxious Weed Control Board

    Conference Room