District Court

Restraining Order

A petition for a Restraining Order must be filed in Superior Court, not District Court.

If you are a married person or a person with a child in common with another person and are filing for divorce, legal separation, custody, or a paternity action, you may petition for a Restraining Order. To qualify a person does not need to have experienced assault or threats of violence.

See Restraining Order-Civil Order RCW 26.09

If you have a court order, it is important to remember:

  1. Keep a certified copy of your order with you at all times.
  2. The order is enforceable throughout the State of Washington.
  3. If there is a violation of your court order, call 9-1-1 or your local police. Tell them you have a court order and it is being violated.

Whether or not you have a court order, if you are being harassed, threatened, or assaulted, call 9-1-1, or your local police!!

What do you need to know about Restraining Order

What can a Restraining Order do?

A Restraining Order can:

  • Can do all that an Order for Protection does.
  • May also order child support or
  • Order maintenance income or
  • Assign property to either party or
  • Establish permanent child custody or
  • Establish use of family home.
How is a Restraining Order obtained?

A Restraining Order may be obtained in Superior Court as part of a family law action such as a divorce, legal separation, custody action, or paternity determination.  A request for a temporary restraining order may be filed at the time a civil petition is filed.  If the temporary order is granted by the judge, it will be effective until the hearing regarding the temporary order.  The county prosecutor or attorney general, when involved in paternity actions, may request a restraining order on behalf of the child.

What is the cost?

Contact the Superior Court to determine the current filing fee.  Additional costs may also include copy, service, and attorney's fees.

What happens if the Restraining Order is knowingly violated?

If the restraining order is violated, the violator may be arrested. Possible criminal or contempt charges may result.

Posted: 02/03/2015 11:27 AM
Last Updated: 03/31/2015 09:11 AM

Chelan County Calendar

Upcoming events and schedules at the county!

  • 15
    May 2024
    07:00 PM - 08:00 PM

    Assessor's Office Community Meeting: Leavenworth and Lake Wenatchee

    Posted by: Chelan County Assessor

    Chelan County Assessor Wes Cornelius invites property owners and all interested parties to attend one of four community meetings scheduled this spring throughout the county.

    Chelan County Fire District 3 station
  • 13
    May 2024
    08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

    Final day to withdraw from the ballot

    Posted by: Chelan County Elections

    Final day to withdraw from the ballot

  • 10
    May 2024
    05:00 PM - 05:30 PM

    Lot Drawing for Candidates

    Posted by: Chelan County Elections

    Lot drawing for candidates placement on the ballot.

    Chelan County Elections Office
  • 08
    May 2024
    10:00 AM - 12:00 PM

    Chelan County Civil Service Commission

    Posted by: Human Resources

    The Chelan County Civil Service Commission will be meeting on May 8, 2024.

    Chelan County Commissioners Office, ES Conference Room.
  • 06
    May 2024
    08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

    Elections: Candidate Filing Week

    Posted by: Chelan County Elections

    Candidate filing week.