Agricultural Inspector II - Seasonal 4/15/21-10/31/21
Horticultural/Pest Disease 412 Washington Street Wenatchee, WA 98801
The Tri-County Pest Board is hiring a 6-8 month Field Assistant, temporary Agricultural Inspector II position that consists of full-time work between the months of April 15th through October 31st, 2021. (May be extended) OPEN UNTIL FILLED
This position is to be the support staff for the Director/Pest Control Agent for the Tri-County Pest Board. The incumbent will primarily work in and be based out of Okanogan County. This person will also contribute to specific projects and tasks throughout Chelan, Douglas, and Okanogan Counties. Work will consist of setting up tree fruit management plans with property owners, inspecting fruit, performing fruit tree removals, and other duties as needed. The position works closely with the public and the chosen applicant must have the ability to remain courteous and professional at all times.
Must be willing to drive up to 80% of the time.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Basic Computer Skills
- Ability to read/speak/write in English.
- Basic Math Skills
- Use common sense, good judgment, and the ability to follow instructions.
- A current Washington State Driver’s License.
- WSDA Private/Public Applicator and/or Consultants License OR Ability to obtain one within one month of hire date.
- College coursework in tree fruit production, horticulture, or closely related field.
- GIS, GPS equipment, and mapping experience.
- Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications and/or databases.
- Professional Writing
- Ability to speak and/or write in Spanish.
- Previous herbicide/pesticide experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be the support person for specific projects.
- Survey geographical areas in Chelan, Douglas, and Okanogan Counties.
- Create pest management plans with property owners.
- Place, monitor, service and remove insect traps.
- Search fields, brush and trees to locate plant pests.
- Collect samples of infected fruit, fruit pests, or plant materials for analysis.
- Keep accurate record data.
- Use surveying equipment such as GPS units.
- Use computers and basic applications.
- Safely operate trimming equipment, including chainsaws.
- Use herbicides and/or pesticides.
- Safely use and maintain a clean vehicle.
- Will be required to attend driver safety training.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Long driving commutes will be a normal part of this position. It is expected that the candidates have a good driving record. The employee will be regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Will be required to lift heavy objects.
Work Environment & Conditions
Occasionally work hours outside of the regular 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday work hours including evenings, early mornings, and weekends.
The employee must be able to work independently with limited supervision, in all weather conditions. May be required to work in difficult terrain and surfaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, stressful situations will arise when dealing with unfriendly property owners. Employee must be able to maintain composure under stressful situations. This position is commonly exposed to dogs, snakes, biting/stinging insects, and hazardous plants.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
To apply please submit a letter of interest, resume, supplimental questionnaire https://www.co.chelan.wa.us/files/human-resources/Ag%20Inspector%202%20Supplemental%2001_2020.docx AND Chelan County Application: https://www.co.chelan.wa.us/files/human-resources/HR%20New%20CHELAN%20APPLICATION%20Nov%202020.docx
Will Carpenter at email@example.com