Current Job Opportunities
Chelan County Regional Jail
401 Washington Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
CORRECTIONS DEPARTMENT-FOOD SERVICE WORKER
This is a position in the Food Service Division of the Regional Justice Center that reports directly to the Food Service Leads. Work is performed according to departmental regulations and procedures prescribed by the superior officer. Assignments, general and special instructions are received from superior officers who review work by personal inspection, checking of reports, and general appraisal of the effectiveness of the employee and adherence to established policies.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
United State citizen with the ability to read, write and comprehend the English language. Must be a graduate of a high school or possess a GED certificate. Ability to pass entrance examination successfully. Must meet health and medical standards, and successfully pass a background investigation, psychological evaluation, polygraph, Must have attained a minimum age of 21 years. Must possess a valid Washington State driver’s license and all required food handler’s permits by date of hire. Must be able to lift 60 pounds on a regular basis. Must have NO felony convictions.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to highly stressful situations, is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat or cold, toxic or caustic chemicals and is frequently required to work evening, night, weekend, and holiday shifts.
If offered, the applicant must successfully pass the Washington State Criminal Justice Commission Support Services Academy. Meet all required certifications and maintain all other standards necessary for the performance of their job duties.
- Practices, methods and procedures of large scale food preparation and service.
- Departmental policy and procedures, including the chain of command.
- Recordkeeping and report preparation.
- First Aid application and principles.
- Establish effective work methods.
- Supervise and instruct inmates in general cooking and kitchen work.
- Maintain security, order and discipline of inmates.
- Estimate quantities and follow large scale recipes with a minimum of waste.
- Cook a variety of foods.
- Work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Accurately hear and respond to radio transmissions, alarms, etc.
- Maintain files and records.
- Proficiently operate kitchen equipment and machines including, but not limited to monitors, computers, and radios.
- Ability to get along well with other employees and inmates, and to resolve conflicts when they arise.
- Must exercise good judgment in decision making.
- Ability to work under stress.
- Must be able to work various days and various times of the day.
- Must be available to work overtime.
- Work in a confined area for long periods of time.
- Recognize medical and psychological warning signs.
- Operate Chelan County vehicles and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The primary function of this position is to direct the preparation of food by inmates on an assigned shift in an adult correctional facility.
- Supervise and instruct inmates in general cooking, baking, meat cutting, and food preparation and service. Inspect kitchen, dining and food preparation areas to ensure proper food handling, sanitation, elimination of safety and security hazards and proper care, use and security of culinary equipment.
- Check food during and after preparation to ensure proper quantity and quality.
- Maintain order and discipline among inmates while they are working.
- Assist in preparing menus and in determining amount of food to meet menu requirements.
- Assist in ordering food supplies and equipment, supervises receiving, checking, storage and distribution of food supplies and equipment.
- Issue food supplies and secures storage rooms and refrigerators; make daily inventory of food service products.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Complete pat searches and escort inmates.
Starting Salary: $36, 000/yr plus benefits.
To Apply: Submit completed Chelan County Employment Application and Supplemental Application to: Human Resources, 400 Douglas Street, #201, Wenatchee, WA 98801 or email to email@example.com. Or Michael.Smith@co.chelan.wa.us.us or (509) 667-6619.
First round of review/testing on Wednesday, 8/23/18, 9-11AM. Must apply no later than Tuesday, 8/21/18, 12PM.