Natural Resources Seasonal AIS Watercraft Inspector
County of Natural Resources 411 Washington Street, Suite 201 Wenatchee, WA 98801
This is a temporary full-time position. Benefits include Washington State Sick Leave.
Chelan County Natural Resource Department seeks one full-time seasonal employee to assist with a voluntary watercraft inspection program for Lake Chelan. Employment can be flexible, with approximate dates between May 1 through October 30, 2023. This position will work closely with Natural Resource staff to support voluntary watercraft inspection and community engagement efforts in high-use marinas around Lake Chelan. This position works mostly outside and interacts with the public. Training for watercraft inspection will be provided, must be willing to drive. Essential duties include the following:
- Inspects watercrafts at marinas for Aquatic Invasive Species.
- Conducts standardized interviews to obtain watercraft information.
- Identifies and preserves possible AIS from watercraft.
- Interacts with the public.
- Monitors condition of signage alerting watercraft of inspection stations.
- Records collected watercraft condition information into the web-based master “Colorado” system.
- Assists with maintenance of equipment, inspection station, and station facility, to include not limited to: ensure inspection sites are clean and clear of litter, proper maintenance of inspection and decontamination trailers, proper set up and removal of mobile inspection site equipment.
Specific duties and responsibilities
- Work is primarily conducted outdoors on land, sometimes independently in remote locations, occasionally during inclement weather
- Interacts with the public during voluntary inspections for trailered watercrafts and identify infested AIS watercrafts in need of decontamination.
- Must be able to seldomly lift equipment, tools, and building materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Work week is Friday through Monday (i.e., weekends and holidays) with flexible option to work 8 or 10 hours a day/32-40 hours a week.
- Safely transport and operate equipment including: 4X4 truck, trailered AIS Cargo Trailer, and occasionally a trailered hot-water pressure washer.
- Enter watercraft user data into iPad or laptop. Must be efficient in personal computers, smart phones, and I-Pads.
Applicants must be able to work independently to follow detailed instructions and be familiar with the use of basic hand tools. Applications must be over the age of 18 and possess a valid driver’s license.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume and completed Chelan County application to Mike Kaputa, email@example.com.
Position is open until filled