Chelan County Community Development Building Official
County of Chelan Community Development 316 Washington Street Wenatchee, WA 98801
Salary PW24, Steps 2-4 DOE $6,181.22 - $6,814.80. Step Increases $7,155.55 - $8,283.43
The duty of the Building Official is to ensure the safety of all buildings and structures in the County of Chelan through administration and enforcement of codes and ordinances regarding new construction, remodeling, and abatement of dangerous buildings.
This position supervises and coordinates operation of the Building section of the department internally and with other divisions of the department in order to facilitate building construction of residential/commercial structures, flood plain management, and specialized assistance with building inspections to ensure the County is in compliance with statutory requirements. This is a working supervisor position responsible for the timely and efficient coordination, review, and processing of various building/construction plans and field inspections. The Building Official assists the public with permit and code enforcement related questions, and formal code interpretation questions.
- Associates degree or equivalent specializing in building and construction or similar field; and 6 years of building and/or construction and management experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be certified as a building inspector and plans examiner. Must attend yearly certification classes to maintain current certification.
- Must become a certified Building Official within your first twelve (12) months of employment with Chelan County.
- Must have a valid Washington State Driver’s License.
Supervises multiple employees in a variety of functional areas in the Building Safety areas within the Community Development department. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting in interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
DESIRABLE Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, square footages, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload
- Ability to read and understand maps, architectural plans, and ability to use architect’s and engineer’s scales and perform mathematical calculations
- Ability to perform site visits on varied terrain and conditions required
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to explain rules and procedures clearly and concisely to the public, elected officials, and stakeholders with tact and confidence
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems
- Effective written and oral communications
- Highly proficient public relations and interpersonal communications
- Computer and equipment operations necessary to the functions of the position including the use of a variety of software programs such as Windows, MS Office (inclusive of Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), and ESRI GIS viewing products
- Being flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Respectful, courteous, and friendly to customers, other County employees, and County leadership; demonstrates and maintains honest and ethical behavior. Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with peers and management
- A team player that helps the organization meet its objectives; takes initiative to meet department and county goals
- Effectively communicates with customers and other County employees. Positively represents the County, maintaining the trust County residents have placed in each of us
- Work is mostly performed independently but does include small and large group settings
- Duties are performed indoors and outdoors to include outside inspections subjecting this position to a variety of weather and driving conditions
- Demands of managing multiple activities, addressing citizen needs and meeting established timeframes for work performance may cause stressful situations
- Work under pressures and under high liability exposure
- Position requires appropriate attire and image, projecting a professional attitude
- Out-of-town travel and a non-traditional work schedule may be required, at the sole discretion of the County
- Conditions at construction sites may include being exposed to falling objects, loose footing, and construction equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- Sitting for extended periods of time while working at a computer, preparing written documents, attending meetings and driving a passenger vehicle
- Climbing stairs in County offices and other agency buildings
- Lifting (up to 40 pounds waist high), bending, stooping and twisting
- Manual dexterity for the operation of a keyboard for computer and equipment use
- Negotiating uneven terrain while performing site inspections
- Sight and hearing of acceptable standards
Duties and Responsibilities
Depending upon assignment, the incumbent may perform a combination of some or all of the following duties, which are representative sample of the level of work appropriate to this classification: