Veteran's Services Administrative Specialist
County of Chelan - Commissioners 400 Douglas Street, #201 Wenatchee, WA 98801
PW04 $19.36 - $21.35 Per Hour DOE - Permanent Part-Time
This position is responsible for assisting in the administration of the Chelan County Veteran’s Service Office. This position is responsible for reaching out to Veteran’s Organizations and Veterans through traditional public relations, community involvement, and by initiation and implementation of activities that encourage Veteran’s to access available benefits; providing quality advocacy for all US Veteran’s, their dependents, and survivors through benefit counseling and programs, claims, and outreach services; and responding to the needs of Chelan County Veterans, service members, their dependents and survivors, and to provide linkage for them to other support services. This position aids the Veteran’s Advisory Board in accordance with RCW 73.08.035.
- High School Diploma
- Equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience may be considered.
- At least (1) year of increasingly responsible administrative work experience in public, community, or relevant field.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Sociology, or related field.
- Previous experience working in the Public Sector.
- Military background
- Advance proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Knowledge of current laws relating to Veteran Benefit and Programs
- Previous experience managing social or related programs.
- Previous experience developing and maintaining departmental budget.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly, tactfully, and professionally
- Must be able to work independently
- Ability to plan, organize, and monitor activities according to priorities, established schedules, and deadlines.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure and respond quickly to unanticipated questions/requests.
- Ability to successfully perform responsible and complex work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative without supervision.
- Establish professional and cooperative working relationships with Veterans, employees, other agencies, media sources, and the general public.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Apply common sense understanding to applicable RCW’s
Duties and Responsibilities
- Interview Veterans and/or dependents and/or family members, concerning needs and eligibility for assistance.
- Assist claimants with the application process, obtains necessary supporting documentation, follows the progress of the claim through channels.
- Determine primary eligibility and refers accordingly to local and federal resources.
- Direct clients to agencies in the community who may be able to provide additional assistance.
- Assist in developing community Veteran events and outreach.
- Perform routine office tasks as necessary; receives, processes and issues various forms, applications, notices, orders; reviews for such things as accuracy, completeness, required stamp and signature.
- Perform all other tasks which may be reasonably required of the position.
- Understand state RCW’s and guide veterans and their dependents through the process of determining eligibility and accessing available benefits.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Perform basic math and basic bookkeeping.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to talk and listen. Work is generally performed in an office environment; sitting, standing, walking, and computer use are frequent and can be for extended periods of time; must be able to move from sitting to standing quickly to assist customers; must be able to kneel, stoop, bend, twist, reach and grasp, use small ladders or stepstools, and operate standard office equipment; must have the ability to lift, pull, push and/or carry up to 25 pounds using proper lifting/carrying techniques; must have sufficient vision to read printed materials and computer screen, and adequate hearing and speech to communicate clearly in person or over the telephone
Position open until filled - Union Affiliated - Teamsters
To apply - please submit letter of interest and Chelan County employment application - https://www.co.chelan.wa.us/files/human-resources/HR%20New%20CHELAN%20APPLICATION%20Nov%202020.docx
Chelan County Human Resources
400 Douglas Street #201
Wenatchee, WA 98801