Superior Court

Administrative Records Request

General Court Rule 31.1 effective January 1, 2016, governs Public Access to Court Administrative Records.  Requests for access to judicial administrative records maintained by Chelan County Superior Court are subject to the provisions of GR 31.1.

How to Submit a Request

If you are requesting documents from a court file or records related to court proceedings, please contact the Chelan County Clerk.

All Administrative Public Records requests must be in writing.  A completed Administrative Records Request Form  should be submitted to the Court in any one of the following ways:

By Mail:

Fona Sugg
Court Administrator
Chelan County Superior Court
401 Washington Street
5th Floor Law & Justice Building, Suite 508
Wenatchee, WA  98801

By Email:

By Fax:  (509) 667-6588

Please note that your request must be in writing and must include your name and contact information, as well as a description of the record you are requesting.

In most cases, you will receive a response within five business days of submitting your request. The response will acknowledge your request with one or more of the following:

  • Requested records provided.
  • Anticipated date of arrival.
  • Expected costs required to proceed.
  • Further clarification required.
  • Explanation for non-disclosable records.

As part of your records request, Superior Court Administration is unable to:

  • Answer general requests for information.
  • Answer questions involving general research or compiling of information.
  • Perform legal research.
  • Create a record if a record does not currently exist.

Before submitting your request, please review the GR 31.1 Exemptions to understand which records are specifically exempted under court rule, statute, or case law.


If your request is expected to incur costs, you will be notified in advance. Payment may be required before your request will be completed.

Photocopying/Scanning $0.15 per page
Research Fees  $30.00 per hour after the first free hour
Media (Disc/portable drive) At cost
Mailing  At cost
Payment Fees must be paid at the time the requester receives records.  For large requests, records may be delivered in installments, with associated fees payable upon delivery.  A requester who fails to pay for a request or an installment may have subsequent requests or installments suspended until the payment is made.

Resources for Obtaining or Answering Questions about Court Records


For an overview of the law governing access to court administrative records, read this guideline for Obtaining Administrative Public Records.


Certain administrative records cannot be disclosed if prohibited under GR 31.1, or other court rules, federal statutes, state statutes, court orders, or case law.  See GR 31.1 Exemptions.  For records that aren’t entirely exempt, non-disclosable information will be redacted.  If all or part of a judicial administrative record is non-disclosable, you will receive written notification explaining why.


If you disagree with the decision that the record you requested cannot be disclosed or has been redacted, you may choose to request a review of the decision. Requests for review must be submitted within 90 days of the public records officer's decision.  A Request for Review Form is available on the Court’s webpage.

External Review

If you are not satisfied with the decision of the internal reviews, you may choose one of the following options for an external review:

  • File a civil action in superior court to challenge the records decision.
  • Request an informal review by a visiting judge or other outside decision maker.


Additional Information and Useful Links

Washington State General Rule GR 31.1

GR 31.1 and Administrative Public Records requests FAQs.

GR 31.1 General Guidelines for Obtaining Administrative Records

GR 31.1 Policies and Procedures

GR 31.1 Administrative Records Request (Form)

GR 31.1 Internal Review Request (Form)

Posted: 01/07/2016 02:23 PM
Last Updated: 09/07/2018 09:42 AM

Share This Page...

Chelan County Calendar

Upcoming events and schedules at the county!

  • 10
    Jul 2021
    09:00 AM - 01:00 PM

    July Parenting Class - English Only

    Posted by: Superior Court Clerk

    Supporting Children Through Divorce is a four-hour educational program designed to help parents focus on the needs of their children during and after divorce and separation.

    Washington State University Extension
  • 07
    Jul 2021
    09:00 AM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - July 7, 2021

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference
  • 16
    Jun 2021
    01:00 PM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - June 16, 2021

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference